- Driving School
Night Time Driving Safety Tips
If you are under the age of 18 and wish to take your driving test, you must complete a minimum of 10 hours of night driving logged in your DMV log book.
Driving at night demands special attention because your visibility is reduced. At night your central vision works like your peripheral vision allowing you to see objects, movement and shades of dark or light.
To minimize potential problems of night driving you should:
Adjust your speed to the range of your headlights.
- Keep your eyes moving
- Look to the side of objects
- Protect your eyes from glare. It could take between 5 to 7 seconds for your eyes to recover from the change in light patterns.
- Keep your headlights and windshield clean.
Low Beam head lights:
Your low beam head light must be on ½ hour after sunset until a ½ hour before sunrise and any inclement weather.
High Beams head lights:
High beam headlights are used in dark desolate areas. You must turn them off
- Within 500 feet of an approaching vehicle
- Within 300 feet of a vehicle you are following
Stay tuned for additional safe driving tips. Should you have any questions, always feel free to contact us at (702) 212-5667
Author: Rich Heinrich
Master Instructor, Emeritus