Sharing the Road with Motorcycles
Motorcyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other drivers. However, there are special situations car/truck drivers need to be aware of to share the road safely with motorcycles.
- Ride on any city street or highway
- Ride in the HOV lane in Nevada
- Have the right to use a complete travel lane
- Share the same lane with another motorcycle
- Turn left or go straight through a red light if they have sat through three cycles and the traffic light has not turned green
Motorcycles may not:
- Pass or ride next to another vehicle in the same travel lane
- Be driven between vehicles in adjacent lanes even if the vehicles are stopped
The most common accident between cars and motorcycles is a car turning left in front of the motorcycle. Since motorcycles are small, driver’s have a hard time determining how far away the motorcycle is and how fast they are going.
Always be aware of motorcycles in the area of your vehicle, increase your following distance, and check your blind spots. It is important to be courteous and share the road safely to prevent accidents and fatalities.
Stay tuned for additional safe driving tips. Should you have any questions, always feel free to contact us at (702) 212-5667.
Author: Rich Heinrich
Master Instructor, Emeritus